5 Tips for Closet Organization

So, organizing closets is actually really fun... I'm always working on organizing my own closet (although as I write this my closet needs some TLC... ha), and I have a friend who often has me come over to help with hers. I mean I actually really enjoy it! Is there any sort of career opportunity here? No? Dang..
Well whether there's a money making opportunity here or not, I've picked up a few tips + tricks for closet organization and decided to share with ya'll my top 5.


1 | CLEAN OUT YOUR CLOSET
Aw, this dreaded step. I don't know if it's just me, but I seem to get emotionally attached to clothes. Like what is that about? But, I've gotten better at getting rid of things I don't like and you guys can too! Guys, it's simple: if you don't like something, or you don't wear it or it doesn't fit you or it's ratty- get rid of it. You can use your judgement to decide whether it's thrift store worthy or just toss it- whatever you decide, as long as it's out of your closet, good.
A good rule you could use is ask yourself, would you buy that now if you saw it in a store? If the answer is no, you might want to get rid of it.

2 | SEPARATE DRESSES, SHIRTS, SKIRTS, ETC.
Organize by type of clothing, NOT by color. Organizing by color may seem like a good idea but it usually just ends up looking messy instead or streamlined and it makes it difficult to find anything. Why look through your whole closet looking for something when you know you want to wear a dress? If you organize by type of clothing you can go right to that section, easy peasy!
Now, if you want you can organize by color within each section, or it might be a good idea to organize by pattern... Or both! Hey, it's your closet, go crazy with it.

3 | FACE YOUR CLOTHES AND HANGERS
I hang all of my clothes facing the same way, with all the hangers facing the same way on the hanger. This makes my life so much easier; I can flip through the clothes on my rack and see the front of ALL my clothes, and I can take big junks of clothing off the rack without hangers pulling and making it difficult. It also just helps my closet to look streamlined and not all messy. It will only take you like an extra 2 seconds to make sure you're hanging something up the right way after you've organized your whole closet properly, so it's an easy tip that will help a lot.
Sometimes you might want to face your clothes different ways, like if you have a walk in closet where the door is in the middle of your rack- you could face all the clothes so they're facing you when you walk in.


4 | UTILIZE YOUR DRAWERS 
Definitely use your drawers for things like camp tshirts and pajamas, but you can also save space in your closet by designating a drawer to your shorts & jeans. I personally keep a drawer for my shorts & jeans, but it's really up to you what you do with yours. However, I would really encourage anyone to have a drawer or, even better, a shelf for their sweaters and other things that can't be hung. When you hang stretchy fabric, like sweaters, they get terrible bumps in the shoulders and the sleeves get stretched out. It's no fun at all to have that happen to one of your shirts.
I'm surprised sometimes which fabrics get bumps, I have a few that I definitely didn't expect. When in doubt, hang it for just a few minutes and see if it gets little bumps on the shoulders (which can then be smoothed out because they won't be too permanent after just a few minutes).

5 | PUT ASIDE CLOTHES YOU'RE UNSURE ABOUT 
If there really are clothes you just can't get rid of, try putting them in a closet apart from your regular one, or a box if there's no where else. Then, if you ever have nothing to wear you can go look those over and see if you like any of them. If you end up wearing something from there and liking it, move it to your regular closet. If you've gone for a really long time without wearing something from there, you could probably just get rid of the lot of it!
If you have some things with just too much sentimental value to get rid of, put them in a 'keepsake' box and store it in your closet. You might want to look over those things again someday!

Well, I know you guys have probably picked up some tips about closet organization too- leave them below in the comments, I'd love to hear them!

-Ash xx

4 comments :

  1. Ooh, these are such good tips! I recently cleaned out my closet, but tbh I should probably do it again sometime soon. I'm so bad about hanging onto things for wayyyyy too long. Hopefully I'll be able to pull some things out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha aren't we all? :)

      Delete
  2. Great post Ashley! I have my closet organized by color and it works well for me. And you can actually get paid to organize closets, it's part of being a fashion stylist. I'm interested in fashion styling as a career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's so great that that works for you! And I didn't know that organizing closets was part of being a fashion stylist, but that's actually something I've considered doing as a career so that's good to know! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete