What I Would Tell My 12 Year Old Self (Advice for Those in Middle School)

It's universally acknowledged that middle school is a pretty sucky time, for everybody. I mean,  I was homeschooled and it was still hard! It's the time in your life when you really start trying to find yourself, which usually means more than a few poor fashion choices and some iffy flirting techniques. I'd say I'm still in the process of 'finding myself' (and honestly I'm not sure if that process ever truly does end!) but I'm so much more sure of myself and confident in who I am now than I was back in middle school. There's definitely a few things I would tell my younger self if I could, and so I'm going to be sharing this advice with all of you. If you're in middle school or around that age, I hope that this advice can help you out in some way! For those of you past that stage in your life, feel free to have a laugh with me and hopefully you can find this post somewhat relatable!

Follow me on Instagram: @thriftytoppings


1| Consider taking fashion/beauty advice you're given
When it comes to fashion and beauty related things, the old rule about the older being wiser really rings true. You're older sisters telling you not to go with that hairstyle really do know. They know because they tried that hairstyle when they were in middle school, and they have the unfortunate pictures to prove it. They're not trying to embarrass you or put you down, they're just trying to save you from the humiliation that they themselves felt.
However, if you really do want to wear that hairstyle, definitely go for it. Middle school is a time to find yourself, to really find your style and perfect your personality. If you don't try knew things, you'll never know for sure what you like and don't like. And this is kind of leading me into my next point, so let's just move on from here...

2 | Don't be afraid to try new things
If you ended up going with the hairstyle and later realized it was a mistake, don't sweat it. You tried it, realized you didn't like it, and now it's time to move on. You're going to have to learn not be afraid to try new things- when it comes to fashion, but also when it comes to food and experiences! I'm sure that, just like everything, you want to have a fun and exciting life, and that's just not going to happen if you're afraid of trying anything new. And in the fashion aspect of things, fashion is always changing, and if you ever want to test out new trends (or set them!) you're gonna have to get used being brave, and if it ends up not working out, just untag yourself from the photo on Facebook and move on.

As much as this pains me to post... Here's a picture of me when I was twelve.

3 | Be humble & don't judge others
I know there are times when you'll just feel on top of the world, but don't let it go to your head. Stay humble. It's okay to be confident. Actually, it's good! But don't let your confidence turn into pride or conceit. People just don't like people who are full of themselves, and they don't like to feel like they're being judged. Don't judge other people, it's just not cool and it's just not a healthy habit to form. All of your peers are going through the same things that you are, and you wouldn't want them to judge you, so don't judge them.
I know sometimes it can seem hard to make friends at this stage in your life, and my number one tip for making friends is to accept and love people for who they are. Everyone has something different and beautiful that they bring to the table, and you'd be lucky to have them as a friend. Remember that and you'll do fine.

4 | Realize it's not the end of the world
It's not the end of the world if that guy you like doesn't like you back. It's not the end of the world if you don't have as many friends as you want. It's not the end of the world if you don't make the team, or you failed that test. There will be other boys, other friends, other hobbies, and you're not gonna fail at life because of that one botched test! I know sometimes it can seem like things are a way bigger deal than they really are, or that nothing's working out the way you want. But you gotta really take a step back and look at the big picture; you have your whole life ahead of you and these little things that you're stressing out over really aren't going to be a big deal in the long run! Just do the best you can, and I promise you it'll be enough.

5 | You don't have to be embarrassed by every little thing
This one could easily have slipped into my other points, but I felt like it needed one all on it's own. Embarrassing moments happen, especially when you're a preteen. But the thing is, they're going to happen all throughout your life, the only difference is you're going to learn not to let it affect you as much. I used to get embarrassed about every little thing, but now I just laugh at myself and move one. Moments that would've killed me from embarrassment six years ago now just pass by with no big deal. And my life is a lot happier for it. That's not to say that I don't ever get embarrassed, but I just don't as often. The thing is you have to realize that these moments happen to everyone, and you don't have to be embarrassed by them.

Well, with that I think I'll finish this post up. What advice would you give to those in middle school? How have you changed since middle school?

x Ash

4 comments :

  1. Yes, I just want to say an AMEN to everything you said. Especially that first one. Oh my gosh, that first one.

    I love that picture you shared! It actually looks so much like me from middle school. Too great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so so glad you liked it! Your comment made me smile. :) Thanks Elizabeth!

      Delete
  2. THIS WHOLE POST IS SO TRUE OH MY GOODNESS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it!!

      Delete